Too much time sitting down, slouched and staring at a computer screen can be very harmful to our bodies.
This not only affects our physical health but also our mental health. According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 3.2 million deaths are caused by lack of physical activity. This is why it is important to remember to take a break every now and again, even if you just walk around the office!
So I thought I would share some things that you can do to make positive health changes if you have a desk job. See them below:
Below are some stretches you can do at your desk:
- Eat breakfast – If you skip breakfast you might begin to feel fatigued and moody. And your concentration and mental performance might be impacted negatively.
- Keep a good posture – Make sure your desk chair is the right height, it can drastically reduce neck and back strain. Your feet should be able to be flat on the floor and your knees and hips at a 90-degree angle. Keep your lower back pressed against the chair to help maintain good posture. According to Dr. Jim Sheedy, director of the Vision Performance Institute at Pacific University, the top of your screen should be level with your eyes to make it easier for you to sit straight.
- Drink a lot of water – Thirst is often mistaken for hunger and sleepiness is often caused by dehydration as well, so drink plenty of water to prevent sleepiness.
- Get enough sleep – Sleep is the time the brain cleanses itself, if you don’t get enough sleep and you can’t think clearly it’s because your brain hasn’t been able to fully recharge.
- Stretch – Refresh both your body and your mind throughout the day by taking some time to get up and stretch, it gets the oxygen flowing through your body and brain.
- Rubber Neck: Sit up straight, drop your right ear down towards your right shoulder, hold for a few seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Shrugs: Raise both shoulders up towards you ears and hold for a few seconds and release. Repeat a few times.
- Chest Opener: Put your hands behind your back, press your palms together, sit up straight and hold for a few seconds.
- Knee Hugger: Bend your knee, grab it with your arms and pull it as close to your chest as possible. Hold for a few seconds & repeat on the other side.
- Reach & Bend: Put you right arm over your head and reach out as far as you can and gently bend over. Hold for a few seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Knee Press: This one stretches out the glutes. With your right ankle on your left knee, gently press against the right knee a few times. Repeat on the other side.
You now have a few tips and tricks you can use to help boost your health at work. You should be aware of how much time you spend sitting, you should try to get up at least once an hour, even if it is to go grab a cup of coffee.
Get up and start moving!